School Nurse

John Hay School Nurse

My name is Kimberly Chin and I am your school nurse! My job is to support your child’s health and learning.

COVID-19 Resources

I can help you sort out possible COVID-19 symptoms and to access help for testing. There is a wide variety of resources here at King County COVID-19 Resources Page.

You can access free COVID-19 screening through the Public Health SCAN program for your children. Visit the Scan Public Health website for more details. Use the code SCANKIDS as a quick way to bypass the daily limits for testing.


We want to protect every student from communicable diseases especially during COVID-19. If your child is lacking school-district required vaccines, I will contact you. It is possible that I am missing records of vaccines your child has already had.

There are teen vaccines that are not required for school but are recommended by the Center for Disease Control. These are:

  • Hepatitis A (2 doses)
  • Meningococcal B (2 doses)
  • Meningococcal A (1 or 2 doses)
  • HPV (2 or 3 doses)

All of these are available through the School-based health centers or through visiting the King County Immunization webpage.

Vision, Hearing or Scoliosis Screening

Students in grades Pre-K, K, 1, 2, 3, 5, and 7 usually get near and far vision and hearing screened. The school nurse can help you find resources to take care of these health care needs.

Prepare for Your Student’s Health at School

Washington state law requires that school staff and parents plan together for the safe care of their child throughout the school day.

Health Issues

Please report any health issue your child has that could impact safety and learning at school to the school nurse. You can contact the nurse directly by phone or email.

Medication at School

If your child needs to take any type of medication during the school day, even if it’s temporary, a medication form must be completed by the child’s health care provider and signed by parent. Authorization for Medications Taken at School (multiple languages)

Medical Treatments at School

If your child needs a treatment at school, such as: G-tube feeding, insulin calculation, clean urinary catheterization, suctioning, nebulizer, dressing change, and others please have the health care provider complete the treatment form. Authorization for Treatments and Procedures to be Performed at School

School-Based Health Centers

Students have access to additional health services through the school-based health center located at this or a nearby school.

Services are available to all students, regardless of their ability to pay. Your insurance may be billed and this program is also supported by the Seattle Families, Education, Preschool, and Promise Plan.

Services include immunizations, sports physicals, prescriptions, reproductive healthcare, mental health counseling, lab tests, and nutrition counseling.

Families must enroll their student to receive most services. Students can enroll themselves for confidential health services.

When to Keep Your Student Home

Additional Resources